Ankle sprains are a pain, and not just because they hurt. When your ankle is injured, you are forced to rest and must avoid many of your normal activities.
If you twist, turn or roll your ankle in an awkward way, the ligaments that help hold your ankle bones together may become stretched or even torn. Most sprained ankles can be remedied with R.I.C.E. treatment: Rest, Ice the area, use Compression and Elevate the foot above your head.
Dr. Robert Warkala suggests
- Rest – especially in the first 24 to 48 hours
- Ice – for the first 48 hours for 20 minutes at a time
- Compression – wear a brace or a wrap that is snug, but not cutting off circulation
- Elevate – above the heart as often as possible
However, if you experience significant swelling, pain even when non-weight bearing, change in color, numbness or the inability to put any weight on your foot, it’s time to come in for a visit. You may have injured your ankle beyond a simple sprain.
Recurrent ankle sprains, without complete healing in between, can lead to a troublesome problem called chronic ankle instability. With this syndrome, the ankle can give way at any time while walking or even just standing.
How to Avoid Ankle Sprains
- Always choose athletic shoes to fit the sport. Basketball shoes must support the ankle. Invest in good quality running shoes to handle the stress on the ankle ligaments. Hiking shoes must have adequate ankle support to help your ankle adjust to each terrain.
- Stretch before and after exercise.
- Build ankle strength with squats, lunges, dips and rubber band strengthening workouts.
- Strengthen leg, foot, hip and core muscles for better support and alignment.
- Work on your balance so you can quickly respond to any changes. Tai Chi is a gentle exercise that can help improve your balance, as can yoga.
Let us help with your ankle sprain, especially if they recur frequently. Complete healing is essential to avoid chronic ankle instability.
Cornerstone Foot & Ankle is a full-service foot and ankle specialty office with locations in Sewell, Cherry Hill, Marlton, Mt. Holly, Woodbury, and Glassboro; serving the South Jersey region. We offer a full suite of services including surgery, fracture care, fungal nail care, diabetic foot care, pediatric podiatry, custom braces and orthotics, wound care, limb salvage, and treatments for arch pain, heel pain, and sports injuries; just to name a few. If it hurts below your knee, we can help you! CALL NOW or request your appointment online TODAY!