If your children are playing sports this fall, pay attention to six tips that could protect them from serious ankle injuries.
Every fall, Cornerstone Foot & Ankle Surgeons notice an increase in ankle injuries among young athletes. Football, soccer, and basketball are the sports most likely to lead to sprains, broken bones and other problems, Dr. Robert Warkala says. His top recommendation is for parents is to get ankle injuries treated right away.
“What seems like a sprain is not always a sprain; in addition to cartilage injuries, your son or daughter might have injured other bones in the foot without knowing it. Have a qualified doctor examine the injury,” says Dr. Warkala “The sooner rehabilitation starts, the sooner we can prevent long-term problems like instability or arthritis, and the sooner your child can get back into competition.”
Dr. Warkala says parents should also follow these additional tips.
- Have old sprains checked by a doctor before the season starts. A medical check-up can reveal whether your child’s previously injured ankle might be vulnerable to sprains, and could possibly benefit from wearing a supportive ankle brace during competition.
- Buy the right shoe for the sport. Different sports require different shoe gear. Players shouldn’t mix baseball cleats with football shoes.
- Children should start the season with new shoes. Old shoes can wear down like a car tire and become uneven on the bottom, causing the ankle to tilt because the foot can’t lie flat.
- Check playing fields for dips, divots, and holes. Most sports-related ankle sprains are caused by jumping and running on uneven surfaces. That’s why some surgeons recommend parents walk the field, especially when children compete in non-professional settings like public parks, for spots that could catch a player’s foot and throw them to the ground. Alert coaching officials to any irregularities.
- Encourage stretching and warm-up exercises. Calf stretches and light jogging before competition helps warm up ligaments and blood vessels, reducing the risk for ankle injuries.
Cornerstone Foot & Ankle is a full service foot and ankle specialty office with locations in Sewell, Cherry Hill, Marlton, Mt. Holly, Woodbury, and Glassboro; serving the South Jersey region. We offer a full suite of services including surgery, MLS Laser Pain Therapy, fracture care, fungal nail care, diabetic foot care, pediatric podiatry, custom braces and orthotics, wound care, limb salvage, and treatments for arch pain, heel pain, and sports injuries; just to name a few. If it hurts below your knee, we can help you! CALL NOW or request your appointment online TODAY!