Our toes are engineering marvels of bone, tendons and muscles and they really take a beating! They are constantly exposed to injury with walking, running or just moving around. And the pressures inside our shoes can cramp the toes and lead to stress–related problems.
If you have toe discomfort, there are many different causes that we will look for. First we’ll ask you what type of pain you have – is it a burning feeling or numbness? Sharp or dull? Does it get worse when you’re walking or standing?
Here are a few common causes of toe pain:
- Ingrown toenails where the nail cuts into the adjacent skin and often becomes infected.
- Bunions can form when the big toe is pushed up against the others. Bunions can be hereditary or can result from wearing tight, narrow shoes.
- Corns and calluses develop from excess friction and pressure on the skin.
- Arthritis, whether caused by wear and tear or rheumatoid arthritis, causes tenderness, stiffness and difficulty walking. Gout, a painful buildup of uric acid crystals in the joints, is a form of arthritis.
- Hammertoes and claw toes are abnormal bends in the toe joints caused by muscle imbalance. Poorly fitting shoes is often the cause for these painful deformities.
Morton’s neuroma is a nerve problem that causes pain between the toes caused by trauma or excessive pressure from tight shoes.
- Capsulitis causes pain and swelling in the toes or ball of the foot caused by inflammation of the ligaments.
If you have persistent toe pain caused by one of these conditions please come see us as soon as possible. These conditions need medical treatment and will not go away by themselves.
Cornerstone Foot & Ankle is a full service foot and ankle specialty office with locations in Sewell, Cherry Hill, Marlton, Mt. Holly, Woodbury, and Glassboro; serving the South Jersey region. We offer a full suite of services including surgery, fracture care, fungal nail care, diabetic foot care, pediatric podiatry, custom braces and orthotics, wound care, limb salvage, and treatments for arch pain, heel pain, and sports injuries; just to name a few. If it hurts below your knee, we can help you! CALL NOW or request your appointment online TODAY!